Maine's state building was a large two-story log cabin, with shaved shingles. It
stood in a shady grove that extended from the Pennsylvania building
westward to the Gulch. resembling a hunting lodge, the structure was 140 by 68 feet, and cost 22,361.40 dollars and builders used timber from Maine forests, built in Maine, it was taken apart in pieces and reconstructed in St. Louis by Maine woodmen out the aid of nails.
The summer resorts of the Main Coast were shown in window transparencies.
An information bureau was situated inside the building.
On the right of the central hallway on the first floor, a staircase hall, the staircase was constructed of logs and timbers. The building was decorated with moose heads and specimens of the game and fish to be found in Maine. The walls of the
building were hung with pictures of various scenes in the State.
After the Fair, it was purchased by a group of Ozarks for 2,000 dollars for the purpose of a sportsman's clubhouse, later becoming an Ozark school before burning down to the ground in the 1940s.
Lee Gaskins' AT THE FAIR The 1904 St. Louis World's Fair
Web Design and Art/Illustration copyrighted 2008