California, was a replica of the old Franciscan Mission of La Rabida, at Santa Barbara which was erected by the Franciscan monks in 1786. The 100 foot by 140 structure featured the arched cloisters that characterized the mission architecture. The architectural mass was concentrated in the center of the structure and consisted two huge square bell towers that tapered upward into lantern-crowned domes. The building cost 15,000 dollars. The pavilion contained no special exhibits, but its furnishings and decorations were entirely of Californian material and manufactured by Californian labor.
Inside, great beams continued the mission theme.
The assembly hall, with its movable platform, and an exhibition hall were its main features. Atop of the assembly hall was a room garden, with plants indigenous of California.
Solid oak furniture and native Californian woods embellished the interior. On the wall hung portraits of known Californians and scenery.
Refreshments were served.
California's main exhibits were shown at the Palace of Agriculture & Horticulture, as well as the Palace of Mines and Metallurgy, including a sizeable display at the stockyards.
In the Forestry Palace, California showed altogether 73 varieties of commercial and cabinet woods.
In the Agricultural Building the state made a distinctive feature of wine, dried fruits, canned fruit, processed vegetables, honey, hay, hops, canned fish, seeds and cereals, grasses and vegetable fibers, etc.
A handsome display was a butter feature in the refrigeration case at the Palace of Agriculture with a beautiful modeled goddess of California, draped in fruits.