Louisiana's state building was designed as a faithful reproduction of the famous Cabildo, where the transfer of the Louisiana Purchase was consummated in 1803. The 95 by 107 foot structure cost 22,000 dollars and was furnished throughout in the time and style of the eighteenth century.
In front of the building was reproduced the "Place d'Armes" of the French and Spanish regimes, now Jackson Square; in the center was an equestrian statue of Andrew Jackson, modeled upon the one erected to the hero of Chalmette in the square in New Orleans by the grateful citizens of Louisiana.
Included at this state building were the actual doors and roof the original Spanish structure. In front of the edifice stood a reproduction of the famous heroic equestrian statue of General Jackson.
On account of the prominence of the State of Louisiana in the original purchase, she was accorded first choice in the selection of a site for her State building. A beautiful spot overlooking Government Hill and directly south of Missouri's pavilion was selected.
Inside, a reproduction of the Supreme Court room, where the transfers of the Louisiana Territory from Spain to France and from France to the United States were signedl; exhibited a facsimile of the treaty between France and the United States, signed by Livingston, Monroe and Marbois. In the same room were portraits of the signers, together with those of Jefferson, Napoleon, Salcedo, Laussat, Wilkinson and Claiborne.
Two priceless pieces of furniture were showcased by the Louisiana building: Napoleon's china cabinet, and the desk on which the Louisiana Purchase treaty of 1803 was signed. Above the desk was a copy of the Louisiana Purchase treaty as well as a portrait of Loussant- a French Colonial Prefect.
In the courtyard stood an original stone filter with the old drinking "monkeys," showed the method of obtaining cool water at that time. In one of the cells of the prison within the courtyard of the Cabildo were the original 100 year old stocks used by the Spanish in punishing prisoners, which had been removed from the Cabildo at New Orleans.
The lower room of the Cabildo, served as a general reception and reading room where Louisianans could be "at home."
Louisiana had 15 exhibits in 10 buildings.
In the Agricultural Palace,the state had 8,500 feet of space, of which 2,000
was devoted to sugar, 2,000 to rice, 2,000 to cotton, and 2,500 to general agriculture.
In the Palace of Horticulture two exhibits were made.
Pecans, oranges, grapefruit, peaches, plums, pears, pomegranates, Japan
persimmons, and many other subtropical fruits were shown.
In their Palace of Mines exhibit, there was a sculpture of the Devil
in sulphur and Lot's wife in salt.
In the Educational Building there were also two exhibits from Louisiana. One was the regular State exhibit, illustrating the work done in the schools, colleges, and universities.
In the Liberal Arts Building were topographical maps showing the levees of Louisiana, and showing also the city of New Orleans in 1803 and New Orleans in 1903.
In the Transportation Building was represented transportation on the Mississippi River, past and present, beginning with the Indian canoe and on through the evolution of transportation up to the monster ocean liner of today.