The 180,000 square foot Palace of  Machinery stood
south of the was palace of Transportation. It used it's
powerful generators to produce electricity and lights as
well as run the massive pumps that fed water to the
Cascades.  The mighty palace featured
German-influenced  towers, entrances and even the
roofs. The two north-side towers were  each two hundred and eighty feet high.  Sixty foot high archway brought awed fairgoers into its Northern entrance. The 12 acre-sized fireproof   building was  designed by Windman, Walsh & Boisselier of  St. Louis, and  was  richly fabricated with ornate staff and sculptural decoration at a cost of 646,533 dollars.




























Generators totaling  45,000 rated horse-power  pumped life into the many exhibits, lights and  water features in the fairgrounds. The Allis-Chalmers vertical and horizontal refrigerating engine was the largest  equipment in the palace, generating  five thousand horse-power. The  General Electric Company's  Curtis Steam Turbine,  could produce  8,000 (and higher given adequate steam supply) and with the other generators  provided hundreds of kilowatts of alternating current  for the Fair's lighting system.   Westinghouse also provided a smaller generator in its display.

An annex building to the palaces west named- The Boiler House, contained all the furnaces to generate all the power for the Fair, using 500 tons of coal  each day. Steam  created from the Boiler House was piped into all the Palaces.


Two thirds of the palace was devoted to  the means of making machinery. Fairgoers could view German Krupps Works exhibition of  metal embossing  using hydraulic pressure and  the latest  metal and woodworking machinery. the Famous Oil Filter and Purifying Plant filtered all the oil used in the palace in order for it to be reused.  There were the latest lathes and woodworking equipment, machines to crush distribute coal, superheater, tools creation,  fire and feed water pumps and the most modern of steam and gas production.  Displays varied from J.H. Williams dropped chains exhibit  to Gould's Power Pump displays to forged tools to Macaroni machines.

Brown Corliss Engines from Corliss Wisconsin,  provided power to the
Fair's railways. 

The Palace of Machinery's message was power. Fairgoers were
astounded by the colossal  engines on display as well as latest in
woodworking, steel, construction,  and electronic equipment.
Large cranes were stationed in the palace to move the various machinery.

The German Company A. Borsig,  showcased  a 1,750 horsepower
engine that used only 1,550 pounds of coal an hour. That's 30% less
fuel than American machines used for the same horsepower.






















Outside of the palace, patrons marveled at the  massive water pumps that powered the Cascades. These

huge machines could  move 165 million gallons of water each  day (two and a half times more than the entire city of St. Louis).

The  worth of all the exhibits in the palace of machinery totaled more than eight million  dollars (remember this  was 1904).




Palace of Machinery (center),  and Electricity- cropped   Digital Painting- Lee Gaskins
          Copyright Lee Gaskins 2008
Lee  Gaskins'   AT THE FAIR  The 1904 St. Louis World's   Fair 
                   Web  Design and Art/Illustration   copyrighted  2008
MAIN
PALACES
Constructing the Palace of Machinery.
On  a balconey at  the  west  end of  the Palace of  Machinery,  near  the  massive  power  plant  stood  the gigantic  electrical  switchboard.