The Liberty Bell was requested at the 1904 World's Fair by the Secretary of the Exposition, but a petition signed by 90,000 St. Louis school children asking to have the bell for the Fair helped secure this display. It was the only time
the Liberty Bell was ever loaned out.
The Liberty Bell was removed from Independence Hall on June 3, 1904, and escorted by an impressive military pageant to a special train car designed for the Bell's relocation, the longest trip that the Liberty Bell had made to date.
On June 8, the day the bell arrived in St. Louis, Mayor Wells officially declared it "Liberty Bell Day." Among hordes of people, the liberty Bell was taken from the train station to the fairgrounds on a float decorated with flags and banners and pulled by 13 gray draft horses (symbolizing the 13 original states). The lead gray horse bore a large blue ribbon containing the word 'Pennsylvania'. The float was guarded by a platoon of St. Louis mounted police and accompanied by carriages carrying fair and civic officials. 50,000 children were in the audience to gaze at the Bell. A 1,000-strong high school choir sang `Concord.'
When the Liberty Bell reached the Pennsylvania State Building "hundreds of willing hands assisted at the ropes which drew the relic up the runway into its resting place in the great rotunda. Lying without yoke or support or other covering upon an American flag with only another flag as background, it was never more impressive in its simplicity."
After the Fair ended, the Bell was escorted by ten Philippine Constabulary to the west end of the Palace of Transportation, where it was placed on a railroad car, on its journey back to Philadelphia. The bell was accompanied by forty Philadelphian councilmen.